SMSS ALUMNI AND
Proposed Mission and Vision; SWOT Analysis and
Action Plan presented by Lambert Sagalla during the SMSSAFF meeting
last March 5, 2005 at the St. Luke and All Saints Church in Union,
reliable/trustworthy charitable organization committed to helping
St. Mary’s School endure as a source of quality and affordable
education for Igorots and related people in Northern Philippines. A
capable supporter of efforts undertaken by other non-profit schools
to educate Igorots and related people.
MISSION: SMSS Alumni
and Friends Foundation exists to help generate tax-deductible
donations, grants and aids, bequests, devises, transfers or
gifts in support of educational, scientific and research
projects, including building and facilities improvements,
undertaken to improve the quality of education offered by St.
Mary’s School, Sagada. We will share our resources, to the extent
possible, with other non-profit schools having similar
missions/status as St. Mary's School, Sagada.
- Tax Exempt Status under 501 (c) (3) of the US Internal Revenue
- Gainfully employed Alumni and friends in the U. S. A.. and
- Internet-literate alumni and friends.
- Inspiring leadership and commitment by several alumni and
friends lead by Dennis Faustino and Rufino Bomasang.
- Starting from Scratch; no operational capital.
- Lack of a Directory for SMS alumni and Friends
- Service to SMSSAFF purely voluntary hence, the least of
priorities of members of the board of trustees and officers.
- Superficial or little knowledge about facts and figures
required for an effective funding proposal.
- Existence of a well prepared 5-Year Plan for SMSSI which
will serve as a road map for SMSSAF fund raising activities.
- Diverse contacts/friends of Alumni in diverse professions in
the U. S. A..
- Abundance of non-profit funding sources in the U. S.
- Wealth of information on fund raising strategies and training
in the internet.
- Inadvertent non-compliance by SMSSAFF or SMSSI to IRS
conditionalities can be a cause of revocation by IRS of tax-exempt
status of SMSAFF.
- Funding by some US registered non-profit foundations of
terrorists activities can adversely affect foreign funding
activities of US registered public charity foundations.
- Diversion of donations/contributions from what they were
intended and approved can undermine trust and confidence of
- “Don’t Care”, “ay uney pay datodi”, “apal” or “men-apos”
attitudes can be contagious.
- Review, revise and/or approve Articles of Association and
- Review, revise and/or approve composition of Board of Trustees
and Officers to insure membership support; and/or simplify and
facilitate a faster decision process.
- Impose membership fees to fund some operational expenses.
- Form committees in consonance with projects identified in
the 5-Year Development Plan of SMSSI.
- Sponsor Fund-raisers. [Tony Trinidad might be willing to donate
DJ services for a joint fund-raiser for St. Mary’s School and
All Saints Mission School].
- Institute acceptable accounting and auditing procedures.
- Sponsor one or two individuals to attend grantmanship
- Research and Identify possible sources of scholarships, faculty
sponsorships, library funding, scientific research funding and the
like which can be tapped for St. Mary’s School.
- Study feasibility of hiring individuals to plan and implement
SMSSAFF’s fund raising activities.
- Network with other similar foundations.
- Identify and prepare facts and figures useful for preparing
grant and aids proposals for SMS.